Monday, November 1, 2010

Who is Hungry??? This Girl.

As many of you know, my recent and off the wall diagnosis of Takayasu's Arteritis has me on a HIGH dosage of steroids... so who is hungry? THIS GIRL for sure!
I have packed on about 45 lbs... don't worry, I started well below the hundred mark... so I could use it!
Luckily for me, my neighborhood offers FREE cooking classes!
I love to cook, I have not learned any new techniques, but tasting the recipes first hand, makes me more likely to try NEW things in my kitchen!
This recipe is a modification of one that I got from the class... which is offered by Chef Tim feel free to contact him, he is supremely friendly. He shares his recipes freely! His original Recipe was called 'Hatch Green Chile & Potato Soup'

Here is my Version:

Chorizo, Chile & Potato Soup

3 TBS Butter or Margarine
1 Yellow Onion
2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
1 tsp Oregano
2 Bay Leaves
2-3 links Chorizo Sausages (no meat in original) cut open skin removed
5-6 cups Stock
7 oz. can of Green Chiles (orignal recipe had 20oz.)
3-4 Russet Potatoes, Diced
1 tsp Kosher Salt
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp Black pepper
1/3 cup Heavy Cream

Roux: 1/4 cup veg Oil and 1/3 cup Flour. Heat oil and whisk in flour for 2-3 until flour is cooked out.
or you can use a cornstarch mixture.. your choice.

In your stock pot, heat your butter, saute your onion and garlic until translucent. Add the chorizo, breaking it up into chunks. you can use pork sausage or any other meat or no meat here if you like.  Add Oregano and bay leaves. stir. cover for 5-10 minutes. stirring occasionally. 
Then add the stock, potatoes and chiles, seasonings. simmer for 25-30 until potatoes are soft. Add the cream. Make your Roux. Add your Roux Mix until combined, thickened.
Serve with strips of corn tortilla that have been fried in oil until crisp, top with your fave Mexican Cheese (Muenster, Oaxaca, Monterrey Jack). Straight Cheddar is good too!

I love this as a leftover with a nice Mexican Panini.